Note: This post is not complete, and the temperature settings in startup.gcode is not correct for use in Cura – I am working on a new, updated, more comprehensive Guide to using Cura for muticolor printing.
In my ongoing project for my 5way Fullcolor Diamond Hotend I’ve had some issues getting Cura to work in the first place and latter again to make it run using Firmware Retract, which is required to make all 5 extruders retract at the same time.
I finally made it all work yesterday, so here comes the setup-recipy for Cura users, once an for all 🙂
Inherent config changes needed for all Cura users using Duet:
Duet is using Relative Extrusion as standard, which Cura does not support. It shows itself in massively overextruding when printing, while at the same time extruding normally when calibrating extruder using Web Interface.
Adding Diamond hotend and we need more changes:
Firmware Retract and Volumetric
Now, in order to use Firmware Retract in Cura we need to use either the Ulticode or RepRap (Volumetric) Gcode Flavor in Machine settings.
We can’t use the Ulticode one, as it removes the startup.gcode option and the second one requires Duet to use Volumetric.
Duet only just supported Volumetric extrusion in 1.19RC/Beta, so you need to upgrade firmware if you havn’t allready.
Extra special important note: Be sure to read upgrade instructions if using 1.18 or earlier as you can not do it through web interface!
To use Volumetric:
We need to use Firmware 1.19 or newer + use the this in config.g
To use Firmware retract
Enabled using through config.g
M207 S1.5 F3000
Now it all works but Extruding manually using web interface after enabling Volumetric extrusion via M200 now extrudes only 4/10 though.. guess it’s to consider a firmware bug.
- Need to uncomment M83 in config.g + Use M82 in cura startgcode. (This is always the case when using Duet with Cura)
- Use Duet Firmware 1.19 or newer – Be sure to read upgrade instructions
- Cura – Use RepRap (Volumetric) Gcode Flavor in machine settings – to support Firmware Retract.
- Duet Config.g – Enable Firmware Retract using M207 S1.5 F3000 – Diamond hotend retract at 1.5mm is good.
- Duet Config.g – Enable Volumetric printign using M200 D1.75